Upgrade notes: after upgrading, run the
arouteserver setup-templates command to sync the local templates with those distributed with the new version. More details on the Upgrading section of the documentation.
- New feature: RTT-based communities to control propagation of routes on the basis of peers round trip time.
- Improvement: in conjunction with the “tag” reject policy, the
rejected_route_announced_byBGP community can be used to track the ASN of the client that announced an invalid route to the server.
- Fix: when the “tag” reject policy is used, verify that the
reject_causeBGP community is also set.
- Fix: default user configuration path not working.
- New feature: reject policy configuration option, to control how invalid routes must be treated: immediately discarded or kept for troubleshooting purposes, analysis or statistic reporting.
- New tool: invalid routes reporter.
- Fix: the following networks have been removed from the bogons.yml file: 220.127.116.11/22, 18.104.22.168/21, 22.214.171.124/29.
New feature: custom BGP communities can be configured on a client-by-client basis to tag routes entering the route server (for example, for informative purposes).
Fix: validation of BGP communities configuration for OpenBGPD.
Error is given if a peer-AS-specific BGP community overlaps with another community, even if the last part of the latter is a private/reserved ASN.
Improvement: the custom
!include <filepath>statement can be used now in YAML configuration files to include other files.
More details here.
Improvement: IRRDB-based filters can be configured to allow more specific prefixes (
OpenBGPD 6.1 support: enable large BGP communities support.
clients-from-peeringdbcommand now uses the IX-F database to show a list of IXP and their PeeringDB ID.
Improvement: enable NEXT_HOP rewriting for IPv6 blackhole filtering requests on OpenBGPD after OpenBSD 6.1 fixup.
Related: issue #3.
Improvement: BIRD, client-level .local file.
Improvement: next-hop checks, the
authorized_addressesoption allows to authorize IP addresses of non-client routers for NEXT_HOP attribute of routes received from a client.
Fix: avoid the use of standard communities in the range 65535:x.
Improvement: option to set max-prefix restart timer for OpenBGPD.
Deleted feature: tagging of routes à la RPKI-Light has been removed.
reject_invalidflag, that previously was on general scope only, now can be set on a client-by-client basis.
roa_unknowncommunities no longer exist.
Related: issue #4 on GitHub
This breaks backward compatibility.
New feature: BIRD hooks to add site-specific custom implementations.
Improvement: BIRD local files.
This breaks backward compatibility: previously, *.local, *.local4 and *.local6 files that were found in the same directory where the BIRD configuration was stored were automatically included. Now, only the header([4|6]).local and footer([4|6]).local files are included, depending on the values passed to the
--use-local-filescommand line argument.
setupcommand and program’s configuration file.
The default path of the cache directory (cache_dir option) has changed: it was
/var/lib/arouteserverand now it is
cache, that is a directory which is relative to the cfg_dir option (by default, the directory where the program’s configuration file is stored).
- OpenBGPD support (some limitations apply).
- Add MD5 password support on clients configuration.
buildcommand used to generate route server configurations has been removed in favor of BGP-speaker-specific sub-commands:
--test-onlyflag for builder commands.
New BGP communities: add NO_EXPORT and/or NO_ADVERTISE to any client or to specific peers.
New option (set by default) to automatically add the NO_EXPORT community to blackhole filtering announcements.
setup-templatescommand to just sync local templates with those distributed within a new release.
Multithreading support for tasks that acquire data from external sources (IRRDB info, PeeringDB max-prefix).
Can be set using the
threadsoption in the
template-contextcommand, useful to dump the list of context variables and data that can be used inside a template.
New empty AS-SETs handling: if an AS-SET is empty, no errors are given but only a warning is logged and the configuration building process goes on.
Any client with IRRDB enforcing enabled and whose AS-SET is empty will have its routes rejected by the route server.
Fix local files usage among IPv4/IPv6 processes.
Before of this release, only .local files were included into the route server configuration, for both the IPv4 and IPv6 configurations. After this, .local files continue to be used for both the address families but .local4 and .local6 files can also be used to include IP version specific options, depending on the IP version used to build the configuration. Details here.
# pull from GitHub master branch or use pip: pip install --upgrade arouteserver # install the new template files into local system arouteserver setup
- Add local static files into the route server’s configuration.
- First beta version.
filtering.rpslsection of general and clients configuration files has been renamed into
- The command line argument
--template-dirhas been renamed into
- New options in the program’s configuration file:
bgpq3_sources, used to set bgpq3
-Sarguments when gathering info from IRRDBs.
- New command to build textual representations of configurations:
- New command to initialize a custom live test scenario:
- New feature: selective path prepending via BGP communities.
control_communitiesgeneral option has been removed: it was redundant.
- Improved communities configuration and handling.
- Fix issue on standard communities matching against 32-bit ASNs.
- Fix issue on IPv6 prefix validation.
- New feature: RPKI-based filtering/tagging.
- New feature: transit-free ASNs filtering.
- Program command line: subcommands +
- More logging and some warning.
- Fix issue with GTSM default value.
- Add default route to bogons.
- Better as-sets handling and cache handling.
- Config syntax change: clients ‘as’ -> ‘asn’.
- AS-SETs at AS-level.
- Live tests: path hiding mitigation scenario.
- Improvements in templates.
- Fix some cache issues.
- System setup via
First push on GitHub.